Incrementally build compute capacity and improve access to compute resources (M&K)
Continued to develop the University’s Computational Shared Facility (CSF) funding 15% of its third iteration. Find out more about the platform at: https://research-it.manchester.ac.uk/services/the-hpc-pool/
We originally intended to:
- Expand the current compute capacity to meet current demand and provide for growing demand, including High Performance Computing, Graphics Processing Units, and Virtual Machines.
- Provide a single point of access to setting up new compute resources; automating the arrangement, coordination and management of computer systems and services.
We originally planned to deliver:
- A defined service and service levels
- A route and mechanism for researchers to commission additional compute capacity
- An on-premise or cloud-provided toolset, allowing researchers to access compute resources seamlessly
- Reduced researcher wait times for new compute capacity
- Increased ability to secure funding which needs specific compute capability, and clearer costing for it
- The flexibility and agility to respond to requests
- Better return on investment, control of cloud spend and visibility of cloud utilisation
- 2018 – 2022
Project Manager: Simon Hood